[chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

Tom Hayward
Thu Sep 8 13:15:54 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Dave Zoller <dzoller at reddevil.com> wrote:
> I just got a set of Baofeng BF-888S radios from Amazon and Chirp works
> like a dream for programming them. Unfortunately, I am a network
> administrator and know very little about which frequencies are and are not
> legal. We want the radios for short range comms in our manufacturing
> facility, which is not that large. I've set channel 1 to use FRS-08,
> 467.5625 MHz, which I think is legal. I haven't heard anyone else using
> it, but I'm in a fairly rural area so that doesn't surprise me. I also
> have it set on the lowest transmit power, which adequately covers the area
> I need covered.
>
> I have some questions:
> Is that a good/safe/legal frequency to use?
> What would be some good alternative frequencies if I discover that another
> group uses this one?
> Will Chirp allow me to set all the channels to the same frequency so I can
> prevent these guys from using an illegal frequency? Is it a good to do
> that (or something like it)?
> Any other advice?

Hi Dave,

The BF-888S has Part 90 certification
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&tcb_code=&application_id=SH25rkP7lF2PVYZb3cklng%3D%3D&fcc_id=ZP5BF-888S

This means it's legal to use for commercial/industrial purposes with a
Part 90 license. You can find out more about getting a license here:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=industrial_business

The coordination and licensing process will determine which
frequencies you are allowed to use. Once you have the license, you'll
be able to program these frequencies with Chirp.

Tom KD7LXL