[chirp_users] Rig control support - was CHIRP on Linux Command Line

David Ranch
Fri Oct 28 09:21:51 PDT 2016

As I understand it, all Baofeng radios use an image based mechanism to
set their memories, etc.  They don't offer any form of rig control that
let's you control their VFO live.
I've been looking at Chinese radios with rig control for for some time
and the only one I've found that looks like it comes close is the Btech
UV-50X3 but many of it's reviews
are bad (Yaesu FT-350 knockoff).  If you want a radio with rig control,
you need to look at something like:

    Hobby Radio - big PCB; low power but triband -
https://www.hobbypcb.com/products/uhf-vhf-radio/rs-uv3

    SRB MX145 - VHF and small; low power -
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=134

I also know that Argent Data will be soon carrying an updated Friendcom
radio module as well:

    higher power -
https://friendcom.en.alibaba.com/product/60195806576-209713635/1_5W_Power_Radio_Modem_Wireless_RF_Transceiver_FC_302.html
    http://www.wireless-rfmodule.com/buy-radio_data_modem.html

There are other options out there but:

    - Kenwood v71/D710/Yaesu FT857 all work well but high power and
expensive for a foxhunt device
    - https://www.sv1afn.com/dra818.html - deadend (no response from
vendor on email, ebay, etc)

Maybe other list members can give you ideas (I'd love to hear about them
too)

--David
KI6ZHD