[chirp_users] "Error Reading Data from Radio..."

Jim Unroe
Wed Oct 19 06:36:49 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Jeff Hughes
<jeffreyhughes at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hey Jim,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I loaded the file you attached, per your instructions.
> Same result/error.
>
> When I click ‘File’ and then ‘Load Module’ and browse to the
> baofeng_common.py file there’s no message/confirmation upon opening the
> file.  Just goes back to the blank Chirp screen.  I assume that’s normal
> behavior.

Yes. This is normal.

> Not sure what kind of file baofeng_common.py is (some sort of diagnostic?),
> but would the fact that my UV-5X3 is listed under ‘Btech’ rather than
> ‘Baofeng’ make any difference?  i.e. is there a ‘btech_common.py' file?

The boafeng_common.py is used by the uv5x3.py driver for the
download/upload support.

> Thanks again.
>
> Jeff

If your programming cable has an FTDI chip, are you running the latest
driver from ftdichips.com?
If your programming cable has a Prolific type chip, are you running
one of the generic device drivers?

Jim