[chirp_users] programming Yaesu FT2D

David Ranch
Sun Nov 13 16:57:34 PST 2016

> Anyway, I picked up a new Yaesu FT2D yesterday. I'm trying to get over
> the programming hump. In the box with the FT2D was a USB programming cable.
>
> Win7:
>
> Yeasu in-the-box supplied Prolific cable and driver from Yeasu's web
> site won't run. v1.8 driver fails to install. I downloaded and the
> latest v1.16 driver from Prolific's web site, still no love.

What makes you think this is a Prolific driver?  Is it printed on the CD
or something?  I did look at Yaesu's website, their driver installation,
etc. and I would agree.. it looks like a Prolific 2303 based cable.  Now
the question is.. is it a REAL prolific, a knock-off, maybe an RT
System's cable, or it's fried?

> Ubutnu 14.04 LTS:
>
> Now it gets interesting. lsubb reports PID/VID for this cable:
>
>      Bus 005 Device 016: ID 26aa:0001
>
> The pl2303 kernel module doesn't recognize this PID/VID as a serial
> device. When the cable is inserted, the kernel doesn't load the serial
> USB module. "modinfo pl2303" doesn't list this Yeasu cable's PID/VID.

That's not a recognized Vendor ID for Linux:

    http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

Looking at my Yaesu cables via my LInux box (kernel is 4.8.4):

FT1D
--
usb 2-1.3.3: new full-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.3.3: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303

FTM400
--
usb 2-1.3.3: new full-speed USB device number 14 using ehci-pci
usb 2-1.3.3: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303
usb 2-1.3.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 2-1.3.3: Product: USB-Serial Controller
usb 2-1.3.3: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
pl2303 2-1.3.3:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
usb 2-1.3.3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB8
--

I borrowed a neighbor's FT2's cable and it's just that.. a plain USB
cable.  He says it's the right one.. but its not the SCU-19 cable as the

> When inserting the USB-serial cable, while the FT2D is in "clone" mode,
> syslog reports:

The cable needs to be identified as a serial port  (which your's
isn't).  As such, this won't work.

> I tried manually to force load the kernel modules and force the PID/VID
> into the drivers -- but still nada:
>
>     sudo modprobe pl2303 vendor=0x26aa product=0x0001
>     sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x26aa product=0x0001

I don't think you need the second line above.  From my notes at
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#2c.kernelnavigatorudev
.  Try this approach (assuming your cable really is a Prolific or
Prolific emulated serial chip):

modprobe pl2303 vendor=0x26aa product=0x0001
/bin/echo "26aa 0001" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/pl2303/new_id

> I looked over the CHIRP source code and with the kernel modules "forced"
> and the FT2D still in "clone' mode, then launched minicom on
> /dev/ttyUSB0. Set the baud rate to 38400 8N1 -- nada. Nothing to/from
> the FD2R.

Either the FT2D nor the FTM400 is supported by Chirp today -
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Wiki

> This should be this hard (well, except for windows).

No.. It's usually quite simple unless you're using proprietary cables
likt RT System cables.  Fortunately, those are using FTDI based chips
and the VID/PIDs can be re-programmed to look like a standard serial cable.

> I checked over the last year of the CHIRP mailing list and didn't find
> any posts relative to the FT1D or FT2D, so I guess I'm breaking new ground.

The FT1 is supported and I've used it with my SCU-19 cable.

--David
KI6ZHD