[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-82HP

Jim Unroe
Fri Mar 25 05:52:26 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Jesse Boyle <gonehiking74 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've looked high and low trying to figure this out:
>
> Using Chirp I have the tx power set on my radio for each channel.  Now my
> radio won't let me change the tx power via the menu on the radio.  It
> changes initially but reverts back immediately.
>
> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I'd like to be able to change power
> whenever I want to.
>
> Thanks

Hi Jesse,

You aren't doing anything wrong. Even though the menus will let you go
through the motions, you cannot change any part of a memory channel's
setting in MR (channel) mode. That is how these radios work.

The only per-channel settings that can be updated at all are the TX
frequency, menu 12 (T-DCS) and menu 13 (T-CTCS) and that must be done
in VFO (frequency) mode. To change any one of the other 7 per-channel
setting at the radio would require you to erase the channel and
program it back from scratch with the new value.

See the "Reference for UV-82 Radios" to find out what menu work in what modes.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php

You can temporarily toggle the power level by tapping the [#] key.
When you leave the channel in any way, the power level will revert
back to its programmed value.