[chirp_users] UV-5RA - latest build

Jim Unroe
Wed Jun 8 14:09:07 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Steve London <n2icarrl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Success !
>
> It ended up being three issues:
>
> 1) The speaker and mic jacks on my new UV-5RV2+ are not centered. They
> are off by a few mm. Therefore, my programming cable would not seat
> correctly. Trimmed the cable plug with a utility knife until it seated
> properly. Incidentally, my old UV-5RA has the jacks centered.
>
> 2) While trimming the cable plug, I accidentally cut the ground wire.
> After repairing that, the old UV-5RA could be read with CHIRP.
>
> 3) The 2014 version of CHIRP does not talk to the new UV-5RV2+. The
> latest build does work correctly with the UV-5RV2+. Thanks !
>
> A learning experience.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC

I'm glad to see you have it worked out.

UV-5R style radio development for CHIRP has been quited active over
the last 4+ years. Except for a few recent models that chose not to
provide their firmware version, it you cannot program your UV-5R
variant, there is a 99% chance that it is a cabling problem (device
driver and/or connection of the cable to the radio).