[chirp_users] Settings to match Motorola PL tones

W Paul Mills
Wed Jun 8 07:58:30 PDT 2016

Sounds like your tone frequencies do not match. Perhaps the Motorola is
not really on 67 Hz.

Look here <http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-ToneScan.php> for how to scan
for the proper tone.On 06/08/2016 09:15 AM, Jeffrey wrote:

> Thanks Rick.
>
> I just tried setting Tone Mode to "Tone" with a tone of 67.0 it the UV5R
> was able to receive from the Motorola, but the Motorola could not
> receive from the UV5R.
>
> "*Tone*: A single CTCSS tone is transmitted, receive squelch is open or
> carrier-triggered. The tone used is that which is set in the *Tone*
> column.:"
>
> So, if I read this correctly, the Motorola radio transmission is open to
> everyone? And will filter out everything that does not transmit with the
> correct tone?
>
> Tone mode as "Tone" should work if I have the correct tone, and the
> radio is sending it correctly. Right?
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Rich Messeder <rich.messeder at gmail.com
> <mailto:rich.messeder at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think this is a good question. I have recently acquired 2 BaoFeng
>     UV-5RTP. I have programmed them "successfully", but not tested the
>     results.
>
>     Here is my take on it.
>
>     I think that CHIRP allows the user to select TSQL, indicating that
>     the ToneSql value is used for repeater access. It is unfortunate
>     that we all don't use the same terms. I opine that CTCSS is the same
>     thing as PL; one is a generic term and the other a vendor term.
>
>     I understand that Tone in CHIRP is used for receive. If you have
>     Tone selected, then the sender must use the agreed tone to open your
>     squelch. For repeaters, I am not sure that all repeaters use tone
>     (PL, CTCSS) on transmit, as they do on receive. A repeater first
>     senses the carrier on the inbound freq, and then look for the PL tone.
>
>     My impression is that many radios do not (can not) use PL codes
>     /from/ a repeater that are different from the sending PL tone.
>
>     Now to 2 radios.
>     The sending unit must send the same tone that the receiving unit is
>     filtering on. So if you are both working simplex, and you both have
>     tone squelch enabled and are using the same PL|CTCSS tones, it
>     should work. I might try that later today or tomorrow if I have the
>     time.
>
>     From
>     http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns
>     Tone
>     This sets the CTCSS tone to be transmitted if the Tone Mode is set
>     to Tone. In Cross mode, it has additional meanings (see description
>     of Cross Mode for more details).
>
>     ToneSql
>     This sets the CTCSS tone to be transmitted and used for receiver
>     squelch if the Tone Mode is set to TSQL. In Cross mode it has
>     additional meanings (see description of Cross Mode for more details).
>
>     I too have used TSQL for many entries, and now wonder if I should be
>     using Tone, because I want to trigger the repeater with a PL tone,
>     but then want the reply no matter what.
>
>     ~R~ NE1EE
>     Short email? No html? Here's why: http://emailcharter.org/

> [...]

* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY                    *
* W. Paul Mills         SN807                    *
* Assistant EC Alpha-1 ARES Shawnee/Wabunsee, KS *
* President Kaw Valley Amateur Radio Club        *