[chirp_users] FTDi, HT, driver or user issue? Help

Jim Unroe
Wed Jul 27 08:57:53 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Dennis Yocom, President & CEO
<dennis at basiclifetraining.com> wrote:
> John et. al.: I'm completely confused now. I bought one PC03 FTDI Authentic
> Genuine USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng, Kenwood, etc    from Amazon,
> which said, Sold by: BaoFeng Tech for $20.46

No need to be confused. The BaoFeng Tech programming cable is not made
by Baofeng. It is highly recommended over a Baofeng programming cable.

> The cable, which doesn't have any ID on it anywhere (except for a USB symbol
> and something else near it which I don't recognize) was supposed to be the
> correct cable to use in programming a pair of new Baofeng F8HPs.  With my
> Windows 7 machine, I got the  "Radio did not respond" message about a dozen
> times. I've pushed that cable in so hard I surprised it didn't come out the
> other side.

I don't know why, but in my tests, it can take up to 8 minutes for the
FTDI driver to be fully installed. If you try to use it prior to that
it will not work and it may interrupt the installation.

> I realize I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but does this sound like
> a cable issue, HT, user or a driver issue ( I've tried several times to
> manually install a driver with no luck)?  The BaofengTech instructions with
> the cable indicate the cable was supposed to initiate the proper downloads,
> and it was supposed to be a snap.  Can someone lighten this poor fool?

Normally it is plug-and-play. I would recommend that you go to
ftdichips.com and download the latest driver and install it. This is
typically the "fix" for when Windows doesn't get it done
automatically.