[chirp_users] FTDI drivers

Jim Unroe
Wed Jul 27 02:21:31 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello John.
>
> What you missed (or I did not make clear) was that when I switched cables to
> the real FTDI cable (also says Baoefeng) it worked.  When I went back to the
> other cable (FTDI clone) the same GT3 (UR5 definitions) then it said radio
> was not responding.  The only change was the cable itself.  It works now but
> none of the 4 cheap cables that appear to be FTDI clones do not work.  That
> was why I was looking for the old drivers and info as to which drivers
> worked with the FTDI copies.
>
> I also have an XP machine that I have to set up as well and that will be
> fun.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim Pruitt

Have you gone into Device Manager and confirmed that your programming
cable has an FTDI chip in it? As far as I know, all Baofeng (the
Chinese radio manufacturer) branded programming cables an unauthorized
copy of a Prolific chip.

Programming cables from Baofeng Tech (the USA radio dealer - not to be
confused with Baofent the radio manufacturer) all contain the FTDI
chip but none are Baofeng branded.