[chirp_users] Yaesu FT-2900r Driver willnot load?

John Wuest
Sat Jan 16 05:49:02 PST 2016

Ammon's reply does not apply to FTDI cables. That is for Prolific chips.

Here is the info for FTDI:

Get your OS to recognize the cable as a generic FTDI USB Serial
CableWindowsWindows
7 (possibly also Vista, and Windows 8)

With Windows 7 (and possibly other versions like Vista and Windows 8), it
is possible to trick Windows into updating the driver to the latest generic
FTDI driver. Once that is done, there will be the option load the VCP
(Virtual COM Port) driver that will create a generic COM port in Windows
that can be used by CHIRP.

This method was originally documented by Cory, NQ1E.

   1. Download the VCP driver zip file and expand it to a folder
   http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
   2. Open up the device manager, find your cable under USB ports, Select
   the cable and right click to select update the driver
   3. Go though the "let me choose" and "have disk" options to point it at
   the folder where you unzipped the FTDI driver files.
   4. Install the driver that shows up even if it warns about it not being
   compatible.
   5. The device now shows up as "USB Serial Converter", go to its
   properties/advanced tab and check the box called "Load VCP".
   6. Unplug the device and plug it back in
   7. A new COMport device will show up, but a driver will not load for it
   automatically.
   8. You need to repeat the above process of telling it to add the driver,
   choosing the driver from the specific location (Have Disk), to ensure that
   the updated VCP driver gets loaded.
   9. In device manager, under ports, you should now be able to find the
   COM port number that Windows assigned to your cable.
   10. When you start CHIRP use the COM port number from the previous step