[chirp_users] offset precision

Jim Unroe
Mon Feb 29 02:26:33 PST 2016

>     My firmware version is BFB927. I wonder what firmware version you have?
> (Easy to determine by holding the #3 key pressed during power up.)

Unless your radio is about 3 years old, it is a safe bet that your
radio does not have BBF297 firmware. Ever since BFB299 firmware (the
version after BFB297) was released, all UV-5R radios (and its many
variants) since then all report BFB297 in the [3] key + Power-on
message (well all except BFS-313 which reports BFS297).

So pressing the [3] key while powering the radio has been of no value
for determining a radios firmware version for quite some time. The
only way to determine the "real" firmware version of these radios it
by using CHIRP (Settings -> Other Settings).

>     I also wonder if there is a list of known problems with different
> firmware versions posted somewhere?

A list used to be maintained on the miklor.com website. Its
maintenance was pretty much abandoned because there were became so
many firmware version variants and Baofeng was making changes to the
firmware without bumping firmware version.

For example soon after the N5R-20 firmware was released, a BEEP bug
was discovered. this bug was fixed but the firmware version continued
to be N5R-20.