[chirp_users] baofeng cable

Tom TA
Sun Feb 21 13:24:07 PST 2016

Greetings,

	Thanks Jim! Had I noticed the Miklor procedure I probably would have given it a spin. The Miklor procedure offers the advantage of providing a view of all the installed relevant drivers available on the system for a given device. However I do find blazing my own trail sometimes helps me gain a better understanding.

	This has been a learning process for me as I didn't know until now that there may be multiple driver versions stored on the system for a given USB device. I had the wrong impression that the installation of a new driver overwrote and deleted any older versions. It is nice to know that one can roll back to an older version should a new release have issues. But the deletion of the unwanted drivers offers the convenience of ensuring the desired driver is loaded automatically circumventing the need to make a driver selection on each occasion. It will be interesting to see if the automatic selection of the 3.2.0.0 driver will stick on my system.

	Having the most recent Prolific driver installed along with the older counterfeit chip friendly version also seems like a good compromise. Presumably the most recent version drivers offer performance advantages thus should be used with genuine Prolific chip devices. It is nice that the port properties driver roll-back feature is easy to access to get back to the 3.2.0.0 driver when needed. I suspect in time with Windows Updates the most recent version will again automatically re-appear on my system.

73
Tom
VA7TA

You are making this way harder than it needs to be. You don't need to
uninstall any drivers. It is better to leave the latest driver
installed. If it stays installed, there in no need for Windows to
download it.

What you do is download, install and then choose the v3.2.0.0 driver.
The miklor.com website has a guide for doing this. See steps 6 though
11.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

As you can see from the attached picture, I have 4 Prolific device
drivers installed. I can switch between any of them at will by using
Device Manager. By choosing the v3.2.0.0 driver I can use every
Prolific based programming cable that I have (genuine chip or not). By
choosing any of the newer drivers, I can determine if the Prolific
chip is genuine or not (if it stops working, it isn't genuine).