[chirp_users] New User's Problems

Jim Unroe
Sat Dec 31 10:55:52 PST 2016

> One problem is the power column only appears in the .img file. It's missing
> in the .csv files. Unfortunately, it defaults to high power instead of low
> power. So, I have to change the setting for each channel from high to low
> power.

This is by design. The csv format only maintains data that would be
the same across various radio brands and or models. The power level
does not fall into that category.

> Another problem is when I create a new .img using the above procedure. Many
> menu settings that apply to all channels are reset to their defaults. Then,
> I have to set them all to the desired configuration.

Why do you create a new .img? Just load a saved image and it will be
exactly the same every time.

> By trial and error, I discovered that I can sort by comment, prefixing each
> comment with one or more asterisks. This groups the channels by the number
> of asterisks in the prefix and alphabetizes within the group.
>
> Unfortunately, the result of the is that adjusting the channels chosen for
> the configuration, or changing the comments results in having to change the
> power and change all the menu settings for settings that apply to all
> channels.

When you import from a csv, there is no power level associated to the
channels (as you pointed out above). If the radio supports power
levels, CHIRP sets the power level to the default power level that was
programmed into the driver.

> There are a few channels from .csv files that are grayed out and will not
> import into the .img file. I have tried some experiments, gotten unexpected
> results, and am confused. I'll try to give a more coherent description in a
> future message.

If the imported channel is incompatible with your radio, it is greyed
out. For example you can get the list of 1-1/4 meter repeaters from
Repeaterbook. If your radio only supports frequencies in the 2 meter
and 70 centimeter bands, they will be greyed out.

> --
> Drew Einhorn

Don't depend on csv files so much. You can import a native img file
just the same as you can a csv file. Doing so will import the things
like power level that you are missing.

Plus you can edit multiple memories at the same time. For example if
you use click, shift-click and control-click to highlight the FRS/GMRS
channels, you can then either click the [Properties] button at the top
of the memory editor or right-click a highlighted channel and choose
"Properties" in the menu that appears. Then you can tick the box to
the left of Duplex to enable editing of that property. Then you can
change the value to "off" and click OK so that all of those memories
have TX inhibited.