[chirp_users] New User's Problems

Drew Einhorn
Fri Dec 30 19:43:16 PST 2016

For each of the problems described below.

   - Perhaps, it's a bug.
   - Perhaps, it's not a bug it's a feature.
   - Perhaps, it's the result of a prior operator error.

At this time, nearly all of my channels are either imported from a stock
configuration: US Calling Frequencies and NOAA Weather Alerts, or are the
results of querying the RepeaterBook database. Each of these channel sets
is saved in a .csv file.

I create a .img file by:

   - downloading a .img file from the phone.
   - deleting all channels creating any empty .img file with appropriate
   driver information
   - importing appropriate .csv files into the empty .img
   - weeding unwanted channels
   - adding a couple channels
   - saving or exporting the result to a .img or .csv file

One problem is the power column only appears in the .img file. It's missing
in the .csv files. Unfortunately, it defaults to high power instead of low
power. So, I have to change the setting for each channel from high to low
power.

Another problem is when I create a new .img using the above procedure. Many
menu settings that apply to all channels are reset to their defaults. Then,
I have to set them all to the desired configuration.

By trial and error, I discovered that I can sort by comment, prefixing each
comment with one or more asterisks. This groups the channels by the number
of asterisks in the prefix and alphabetizes within the group.

Unfortunately, the result of the is that adjusting the channels chosen for
the configuration, or changing the comments results in having to change the
power and change all the menu settings for settings that apply to all
channels.

There are a few channels from .csv files that are grayed out and will not
import into the .img file. I have tried some experiments, gotten unexpected
results, and am confused. I'll try to give a more coherent description in a
future message.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."