[chirp_users] trouble with TM-D710G

Roy Dean
Thu Dec 29 14:24:47 PST 2016

> This order makes sense to me. Naturally, if you try to download before
> turning on the radio it's not going to work. The only thing that
> surprises me is rebooting the computer.

Unfortuantely, now it will not connect at all.   More below.

> This will only make a
> difference if your USB-serial cable is misbehaving. You might look into
> that to make sure you have it installed in accordance with the
> instructions from the manufacturer. Even better, use a real serial
> port so you're not fighting with drivers.

I believe the adapter may be at fault, seeing as now it won't connect, AT
ALL.   Using a dedicated serial port is not an option, I don't own a single
computer that has one!

> Doesn't this happen in the background? You should be able to edit your
> 20 channels while Chirp continues to check the rest of the radio for
> data.

Maybe so, but it was so flaky I didn't want to "interupt" it.   I got
errors when trying to do anything while it was downloading the empty
channel info.

> Look for clues in your debug log.

see below, all I can guess is adapter is junk.   I'll see if there are any
checks I can perform on it and the kenwood cable

[2016-12-29 17:15:27,662] chirp.ui.mainapp - DEBUG: User selected Kenwood
TM-D710G on port /dev/ttyUSB0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp/ui/mainapp.py", line 1432,
in mh
    self.do_download(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp/ui/mainapp.py", line 683, in
do_download
    timeout=0.25)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialutil.py", line 180,
in __init__
    self.open()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 311,
in open
    self._update_dtr_state()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 605,
in _update_dtr_state
    fcntl.ioctl(self.fd, TIOCMBIS, TIOCM_DTR_str)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error