[chirp_users] trouble with TM-D710G

Tom Hayward
Thu Dec 29 09:53:57 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Roy Dean <royldean at gmail.com> wrote:
> Setup:
> Kenwood D710GA
> Lenovo ThinkPad circa 2013
> Recent (about a month old) Ubuntu install
> CHIRP daily-20161220
> Best Buy Insignia USB to Serial Adapter Cable
> PG-5H kit (w/PG-5G cable)
>
> Issues:
> 1)  I need to connect the radio and start chirp in a very specific order, or
> chirp won't recognize the radio.   That order is:
> a.  Reboot computer
> b.  Turn radio on
> c.  connect radio to computer via PG-5G cable
> d.  wait a few seconds (I assume so the operating system can recognize the
> serial adapter)
> e.  start chirp
>
> At this point - Chirp allows me to "download form radio", and gives me the
> standard "live" warning.   If I do not follow the above order, when I select
> port/kenwood/d710G and "ok", I just get a blank chirp screen.

This order makes sense to me. Naturally, if you try to download before
turning on the radio it's not going to work. The only thing that
surprises me is rebooting the computer. This will only make a
difference if your USB-serial cable is misbehaving. You might look into
that to make sure you have it installed in accordance with the
instructions from the manufacturer. Even better, use a real serial
port so you're not fighting with drivers.

> Now, before I get into the second issue - I should note that Chirp now takes
> forever as it downloads the data for all 1000 memory channels - when I only
> currently have about 20 programmed channels. Not a huge deal, but somewhat
> annoying.

Doesn't this happen in the background? You should be able to edit your
20 channels while Chirp continues to check the rest of the radio for
data.

> 2)  I can edit the channels and import csv files no problem, but there
> doesn't seem to be any "live" updating of my radio!   And being that the
> "upload to radio" option is not available, I have no way of forcing the
> update.

Look for clues in your debug log. It should send the channel to the
radio as soon as you hit Enter after editing. If the radio rejects it,
there should be a corresponding entry in the log.

Note that to see a change to a channel, you have to turn the knob on
the D710G. The display will not update itself after writing a memory
channel.

Tom KD7LXL