[chirp_users] Chirp update

Jim Unroe
Tue Dec 20 13:46:00 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Mark <gingrich.ms at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have A uv5r programmed thru chirp and need to program a new bf8hp with same channels.  They both have different software. Can I use the same chirp software or do I Need to update to the new chirp update . Both came from beofeng tech along with their cable

The Baofeng UV-5R (and its many variants of radios with 2 power
levels) and the BF-F8HP (and its many variants with 3 power levels)
are treated like separate radio models. You cannot download the image
from one model and directly upload it into another model.

There are several ways that you can get the channels from one radio
transferred to the other. The quick and dirty method is to download
from both into CHIRP at the same time. This will create 2 tabs, one
for each radio. Then you can simply copy and paste the channels
between tabs.

Some suggest exporting the "source" radio to a CSV file and then
import the saved CSV file into a tab from the "destination" radio. The
result is the same as cut and paste.

What I do is to "import" the image from my "master" radio into the tab
from the radio that I want to program. This method is more thorough
than copy and past or export/import a CSV file. A guide for how to do
it is on the Baofeng Tech website.

https://baofengtech.com/CHIRPImport

Once you have the channels transferred, you will still have to go
through the global settings menus and edit these settings separately.
You will only have to do this once because you will be keeping
separate images for each radio.