[chirp_users] FTDI good - not FTDI bad

Drew from Zhrodague
Mon Aug 29 10:01:01 PDT 2016

On 8/27/16 7:42 PM, Richard B. Emerson wrote:
> Following the traffic here, I think the following should be (if it
> isn't) a FAQ item. Nonetheless it bears repeating here:
>
> FTDI conversion chips and drivers are extremely stable. Anything else,
> including Prolific, is a gamble with poor odds. It's that simple.

	This is true for Windows, and for OSX - for the most part. I've had
wacky behavior and performance with the knock-off Prolific things on OSX.

	However crappy the Prolific chips are, they seem to work just fine with
all of the different Linux distributions I've tried. Simply plug them
in, and they work. For this reason, I usually buy the Prolific $1.40
knock-off usb/serial dongles from EBay.