[chirp_users] Baofeng UV5R hack

Jim Unroe
Sun Aug 28 05:33:51 PDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Glenn <glennervin at cableone.net> wrote:
> I saw 60 meter in the stock config list, and thought, what the heck!
> But I'm having a hard time finding a stock config option that will give me
> everything, and the ability to punch in the frequency.
> The marine band wanted to put like 60 or more channels into my radio.
> I haven't found my local law enforcement frequency yet either.
> If I knew how to just open it all up, I'd just punch in the frequency and
> set it.
> Glenn

Glenn,

CHIRP supports many radios. The stock config with a 60 meter frequency
is for a radio that covers the 60 meter band. No Baofeng radio that I
am aware of covers the 60 meter band.

The currently shipping UV-5R radios have the band limits set at the
factory to 130-179 and 400-520 allowing you to "punch in" frequencies
into the VFO from 130.0000-179.9975 MHz and 400.0000-520.9975 MHz.

As I mentioned previously, the band limits can be set wider, allowing
you to "punch in" frequencies from 1.0000-999.9995 MHz into the VFO,
but doing so is a waste of time. Even though the radio will accept and
display the frequency, the radio itself is not capable of functioning
very far outside of the ranges mentioned above.

Don't "Import from stock". Instead, "Open stock config". This will
open the stock config in a separate tab. Then you can copy-and-paste
individual channels (or groups of channels) from the "stock config"
tab to the tab for your UV-5R.