[chirp_users] Chirp and the volume control

Jim Unroe
Tue Aug 23 03:14:41 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Frederick R. McDougall
<frmcdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On my uv5rc unit the volume control does control the volume of the
> speaker/mic.

As it should. The volume control controls the level of audio to the
internal speaker and to a external speaker properly connect to the
audio out lines.

>  Thus it would also control the amplitude of the radio to
> computer signal while reading the radio.

Incorrect. As I mentioned earlier, the radio communicates with the
computer via a TTL level serial communication (+3.3 volts/0 volts).
There is no speaker out or mic in audio involved. There aren't even
any wires connected to the audio out or mic in because they are not
needed or used for serial communications.

It is not AFSK (audio frequency shift keying) like over-the-air
digital communications. That would be an added complexity that isn't
required.