[chirp_users] New member with a couple questions

Jim Unroe
Mon Aug 15 03:15:50 PDT 2016

Hi Glenn,

I am glad to hear that you resolved your issue with Ubuntu.
Unfortunately the Ubuntu repository installs a very old version of
CHIRP (over 3 years old). As you found out you must remove this old
version and then add the CHIRP snapshot PPA to your Ubunty (per the
instructions on the CHIRP download page) so the latest CHIRP daily
build can be installed.

> But I successfully exported my 5R to a CSV file.
> Then I connected the 8HP and imported the 5R file, and then tried to upload
> it to the 8HP, and in the radio list, the make and model selections are
> grayed out, and it only shows the UV-5R.

You have download from the BF-F8HP or (load a previously saved file
that was previously downloaded from the BF-F8HP) so that the tab label
starts with "Baofeng BF-F8HP:". Only a tab labeled this way can be
uploaded to the BF-F8HP.

Only a tab with a label that starts with "Baofeng UV-5R:" can be
uploaded to the UV-5R.

Also note that it is not necessary to save the UV-5R tab to a CSV
file. The CHIRP import feature will import CHIRP Radio Images (*.img)
files. It is the selection in the drop-down list just above CSV Files
(*.csv). The import process is exactly the same.