[chirp_users] USB LiveBoot ?

W Paul Mills
Tue Aug 2 08:30:00 PDT 2016

Wow, you really don't tell us much about your real problem. But it
does appear that your first order of business would be to get the
latest version of Chirp, instead of a version that is years old.

The Chinese radios are a constantly moving target, so without a
current version of Chirp, there is no chance of making programming
your radio possible.

See notes below

On 08/02/2016 02:21 AM, Bruce LeGrande wrote:

> Just looked at the LiveCD image file for Chirp and woah!, that
> seems MUCH larger than it needs to be... (600+Mb)
>
> I'm interested in setting up a bootable USB stick with an autorun
> Chirp session for programming my Baofeng UV-82HP.
>
> I'm getting the 'Unsupported firmware version: "N82-33 US2S35
> /Uffffffff/Uffffffff" with Chirp v0.4.0

This is most likely due to using an old version of chirp with a newer
firmware version radio.

> The hardware is an ACER AspireOne NetBook (AMD64).

This is not relevant. But operating system and version might be.

> It would seem that this project SHOULD fit on a 1-Gb USB Stick
> with plenty of room to spare to store radio programming data.
>
> Anyone have an ISO for this...
>
> I'm  getting Puppy Linux and DSLinux Live boot ISO's  right now in
> case I have to use an IMG burn file of Chirp. PuppyLinux ISO is
> only 225Mb, and I think DamnSmallLinux is even smaller.

I don't have any experience with these Linux variations, so can't help
you there.

> And on a second note... Is anyone working on an Android App port of
> Chirp ? Sure would be nice to prgm the radios with a SmartPhone or
> Tablet... Of course, that would require a cable with a MicroUSB
> connector.

Not likely to happen.

--
* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY                    *