[chirp_users] Difficulty transferring data from Chirp to Yaesu VX-8DR using Macbook Air

Steve B
Fri Apr 29 14:09:35 PDT 2016

Hello,

Please pardon my ignorance as I am a new Ham trying to transfer data from my Mac to my Yaesu VX-8DR.

So far:
1) I have successfully installed Chirp on my Macbook Air.
2) I have been able to export data from Repeaterbook.com <http://repeaterbook.com/> to Chirp
3) I purchased the cable listed below from Amazon to transfer data. The cable is made by Maxton Technology.
GoodQbuy® High Quality USB Programming Cable For Yaesu/Vertex Radio VX-8DR VX-8R VX-8 VX-8E VX-9U
http://www.amazon.com/GoodQbuy®-Quality-Programming-Vertex-VX-8DR/dp/B012FF6G5A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 <http://www.amazon.com/GoodQbuy%C2%AE-Quality-Programming-Vertex-VX-8DR/dp/B012FF6G5A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00>

The packaging says that “no driver is needed with this cable.” However, obviously, that’s not true, since the Mac cannot see the radio. I’ve looked over the available drivers listed for Chirp and none of them match this cable.

My question is:
1) Is there a driver suitable for this cable that will not interfere with existing Mac drivers so that I can still connect my other devices, such as digital cameras and videos? I am not comfortable using Terminal. My Macbook Air is running OS 10.10.5

If there is no simple fix for this problem, I plan to buy Parallels for Mac and Windows 8 to install the repeater list using Yaesu’s software and cable for the PC. Thank you for any help you may be able to supply.

Best regards,
Steve Barsky
Cedar City, Utah