[chirp_users] chirp-daily-20160419-win32: Hide Unused Fields, Smart Tone Modes

Tom Hayward
Wed Apr 27 11:39:31 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Rich Messeder <rich.messeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "problem" is that CHIRP displayed, by default, fields that are "unused", and there was no clue about that. The menu had "Hide Unused Fields" checked, so I figured that I was looking at "used" fields.

I added a note about this on the bug tracker:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/1779

> CHIRP kept changing my PL tones to 88.5, and there is no clue why.
>
> I don't want to bother anyone further until I have read further...I still have not run across the reference to the UV-5 that (Tom?) posted a few days ago referring to
> "The UV5R's internal memory structure does not have "Tone Mode" and
> "Tone" value fields, like most other ham radios do. Instead, it has
> only two fields: rxtone and txtone. To activate a transmit tone, the
> tone's value it stored in the txtone field. To turn off tones, zero is
> written to this field. So when you set Tone Mode off, the tone value
> you previously programmed is overwritten by zeros. This is just how
> the radio is designed--unfortunately there's no way around it."

Here's the reference to specifically what I was talking about:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/entry/chirp/drivers/uv5r.py#L36

I think you'll find in the UV-5 manual, if there is one, that tone
frequencies cannot be stored for toggling on and off as needed, like
you're familiar with on Japanese radios. One possible source of
confusion here is that you are attempting the learn the features of a
new radio and new programming software at the same time. You might
connect a radio you're more familiar with to Chirp to see how it
works. I think you'll find the tones behave as you'd expect on that
radio, and the confusion here is due to the design of the UV5.

Tom