[chirp_users] Comments about chirp-daily-20160419-win32

Rich Messeder
Mon Apr 25 08:32:41 PDT 2016

I've just gotten involved with a group that...

I'm grateful that CHIRP installed (I used the zip file on Windows 10) and ran so easily. I downloaded from my radio, and began my updates. That is where I got puzzling results.

Puzzled by defaults
I selected several lines, and used the properties dialog to try to change the Tone and ToneSql. Instead, those values were all set to some default (88.5), and Cross Mode were reset from >Tone to Tone>Tone.

Other similar attempts failed and|or corrupted the data by changing the wrong cells.

I wonder why we can't export the whole thing to Excel (I tried, and got only a few columns)...I can use Excel (or some other spreadsheet tool) to make these changes easily.

By the time I mad made several change, and stopped to take note of the results, CHIRP had corrupted a dozen lines of entry. I got the message...and went back to changing each line independently. What's worse...there are order-specific operations in CHIRP. For example, when I changed ToneSql from CHIRP's default of 88.5 (apparently), CHIRP changed the Tone Mode from (None). I had to change it back. So now I don't get to simply change what I want, I get to learn the specific order I must follow to change cell values.

The column width settings apparently don't retain twixt sessions. The default is too narrow to display the full tome frequency, so I made them wider, but the next time I opened the image, they were back to narrow again.

Is there some setting that turns off all the CHIRP defaults so that I can make changes that don't cascade to other unwanted changes?

Can I make the font larger?

I read some of the reason for not exporting everything to the csv file, but it seems to me that exporting it all and letting me delete columns is a better approach.

I tried copying all the cells and pasting them elsewhere, but no app would accept them...stuck again.

And finally, I saved my edits, uploaded them to my radio, tried to contact a repeater and failed. Came in, ran CHIRP, loaded my img file, and found that many settings had been changed. I guess this is by design, but I am baffled. The names are in the radio, but the tones and tone settings are changed...?

~Rich Messeder~