[chirp_users] BaoFeng UV-82C and CHIRP power question

Tom Consodine ND5Y
Sun Apr 24 05:45:13 PDT 2016

> Is there some way using CHIRP (or other means) to select 2Watts for MURS
> or 500mW for FRS frequencies 8 through 14?
> I'm pretty sure the answer will be "no" because I know the power output
> selection is embedded in the firmware in the radio.
Correct. Only the factory has the necessary software to adjust the power
levels. There is also a power adjust pot inside the radio but it
probably won't adjust the levels that far.

> Is there an antenna that will reduce the power output without damaging
> the radio?
You could use a pad or attenuator between the radio and antenna but that
would be too bulky and it would also reduce the receive sensitivity.

It would still not be legal to use on FRS or MURS regardless of how you
set the power levels because the radio is not Part 95 certified and
cannot be because of more reasons than just the power output.

Tom