[chirp_users] Writing to radio

Jim Unroe
Fri Sep 25 16:51:29 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 7:34 PM, John Warren <johnawarren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would be causing the chirp windows download version to not allow
> writing from chirp to Baofeng...only will write from Baofeng to chirp. It's
> like that option is dead...meaning shows up in ghost type on computer screen
> where everything else is in bold type.
>
> Thanks,
> John

John,

You don't give enough detail (like error message) so I will try to
make a guess. You probably chose File, New and programmed some
channels (the tab will be labeled "Generic CSV" and cannot be uploaded
to any radio. What you have to do is download from the radio to
retrieve a "template" that is compatible with your radio. Notice that
the tab is named "Baofeng UV-5R or someting similar). Save it
unchanged to a CHIRP Radio Image (*.img) file to be kept in a safe
place as a backup. Then edit it as needed and save it again under
another name to be used as your "working" copy. Then upload it to your
radio.