[chirp_users] Baofeng - Programming specific RDA1846 codes via Chirp

David Ranch
Sat Sep 12 17:35:04 PDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

I fellow HAM pointed me to this URL which seems pretty pretty
interesting on how to do some advanced things with these inexpensive radios:

http://www.elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:txrx-digital-data-using-the-uv5r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17

In a different article on the same site, the author mentioned he looked
at Chirp to do this programming but gave up as it only programs memories
and some radio settings:

http://www.elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:hacking-the-baofeng-uv5r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17

I'm curious if Chirp could actually set some of these low level RDA1846
codes or if it really requires direct programming via I2C?

--David
KI6ZHD