[chirp_users] Trying to upload to BaoFeng radio

Jim Unroe
Fri Sep 4 17:06:05 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Dr. Whit Woodard <towhit at me.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Nick.  I did as you suggested.  Downloaded python (again) and then
> chirp-daily-20150814.  Same results.  I can open the .img file, but I can’t
> upload to the radio or download from the radio.  I get an error message that
> says "could not open port /dev/cu.PL2303-00001014: [Errno 2] No such file or
> directory: '/dev/cu.PL2303-00001014’
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> whit

First, I don't own a Mac or use a Mac, so weigh my advice accordingly...

The chip in most programming cables that report having a Prolific type
chip is an unauthorized copy. The latest Prolific device driver is
(intentionally) not compatible with unauthorized copies. You most
likely have to replace your installed driver with one of the generic
drivers listed on the "documentation" pages.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MacOS_Tips

Others have recommended purchasing this compatible 3rd party driver.

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/