[chirp_users] CHIRP with Linux Mint / Linux Zorin

Dave H
Thu Oct 1 14:06:00 PDT 2015

Welcome to the world of Linux...

I think  you just need to add your login username to the group called
'dialout'.
Then it will work.

There is a graphic interface for this - but it's really easy to type a
couple of lines in a terminal screen to make it happen.

open a terminal and run the following. (replace USERNAME with your username)
*sudo usermod -a -G dialout USERNAME *

(you will be asked for the password of the account who setup the Linux
install - probably you - so put yours in)
(if alls well now type this)

*id USERNAME*

(press enter and it will list groups you are a member of, this should
now include dialout
Importantly - now log out and back in again and it should work.

Hope this helps - It's the first job to do to a ham radio install.

If you want to check up on this first - you would be adding an already
existing username to an already existing group.

ps finding a local Linux User Group might be a good idea, there's
nothing like face to face support!

73 Dave H G0CER Shropshire linux Users Group
https://shropshirelug.wordpress.com/

On 1 October 2015 at 21:21, Richard AG5M via chirp_users <
chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> I am new to Linux (Linux Mint 17.2 and Zorin 9.0).  I have installed CHIRP
> on both computers.  But I am unable to download from my Baofeng UV-3R or
> Baofeng UV-5R.  In each case it appears it does not find, or allow me
> access to, the Com Port ttyS0, or any port for that matter.  Probably
> something simple I do not know about being new to Linux.  Can anyone please
> give me some advice?  Thanks
> Richard AG5M

73 Dave H G0CER
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?G0CER