[chirp_users] CHIRP with Linux SUCCESS

Richard AG5M
Fri Oct 2 10:25:15 PDT 2015

Success, silly me, I forgot to log out and log back in.
Dialout is now on the list and I have downloaded the UV-5R.  Thank you very much guys.

Linux is fun, so much better than I ever thought it would be.  Giving new life to the old laptops in the shack.
Now will try it on Zorin too.

I see a number of Ham related applications available for Linux.  What are the main ones recommended to play with?  I have GPredict satellite tracking running.

73, Richard AG5M

On Thu, 10/1/15, Dave H <davekh at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [chirp_users] CHIRP with Linux Mint / Linux Zorin
 To: "Richard AG5M" <ag5m at yahoo.com>, "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
 Date: Thursday, October 1, 2015, 2:06 PM

 Welcome to the world of Linux...

 I think  you just need
 to add your login username to the group called
 'dialout'.
 Then it will work.

 There is a graphic
 interface for this - but it's really easy to type a
 couple of lines in a terminal screen to make it happen.

 open a
 terminal and run the following. (replace USERNAME with your
 username)
 sudo usermod -a -G dialout
 USERNAME
 (you will be asked for the password of the account
 who setup the Linux install - probably you - so put yours
 in)
 (if alls well now type this)
 id USERNAME
 (press enter and it will list groups
 you are a member of, this should now include dialout
 Importantly - now log out and back in again and
 it should work.
 Hope this helps -
 It's the first job to do to a ham radio install.
 If you want to check up on this
 first - you would be adding an already existing username to
 an already existing group.
 ps
 finding a local Linux User Group might be a good idea,
 there's nothing like face to face support!

 73 Dave H G0CER
 Shropshire linux Users Group
 https://shropshirelug.wordpress.com/

 On 1 October 2015 at 21:21,
 Richard AG5M via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
 wrote:
 I am new
 to Linux (Linux Mint 17.2 and Zorin 9.0).  I have installed
 CHIRP on both computers.  But I am unable to download from
 my Baofeng UV-3R or Baofeng UV-5R.  In each case it appears
 it does not find, or allow me access to, the Com Port ttyS0,
 or any port for that matter.  Probably something simple I
 do not know about being new to Linux.  Can anyone please
 give me some advice?  Thanks

 Richard AG5M

 chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com

 73 Dave H G0CER