[chirp_users] UV-5R Woes

Jim Unroe
Mon Nov 9 13:37:05 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Lamar Brown <dlamarbrown at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim
> I'm at work right now so it will be tonight before I can send you my file.
> So If I understand you right, for instance on a repeater that has the
> frequency of 146.640 and the offset frequency was 146.040 I would need to
> program them in then?

Danny,

Not exactly. You set Frequency="146.64000", Duplex="-" and
Offset="0.60000". Then from that supplied information, CHIRP will
compute the TX frequency (146.040) and store it along with the other
channel information. Then when you upload to the radio, 146.640 (RX
freq) and 146.040 (TX freq) are sent to the radio (along with the
other channel data) because that is what it requires.

Just to review, the radio's menu 25 [SFT-D] and menu 26 [OFFSET] only
function and have a purpose in VFO (frequency) mode. These menus have
absolutely no purpose (and therefor do not work) in MR (channel) mode.
So the upper status display only shows "+" and "-" individually when
the radio is in VFO mode. In MR mode the upper status display shows
"+-" to indicate the RX frequency and TX frequency are not the same.
It doesn't matter if you are programming the radio with CHIRP or the
keypad, that's how the radio works.