[chirp_users] IC-T70A not communicating with Chirp

JD Morrow
Tue May 26 16:24:24 PDT 2015

Nick,
    Our one CERT Team has about 10 of the T70A's, I have programmed them
several times over the last few years, with multiple cables, and do not seem
to have a problem with Chirp. The vast majority of problems I have run into
have either been cable related or just a boneheaded step on my part (ie: fat
fingered the data). I do not own a T70 or have one readily available so can
not help with the protocol.

73's   John
KC2TXV

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Papadonis
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:09 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: [chirp_users] IC-T70A not communicating with Chirp

Folks,

I’m having a similar issue as below and filed the following bug:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/2605

I have tested both Genuine FTDI and Prolific USB->Serial cables with no
success. The USB->Serial chips are detected by both Windows 7 and Mac OS,
however when Chirp sends out the 0xE0 detection frame, there is always a 0
byte response back when I would have suspected at least a byte for the Model
ID according to the code. I have tested Chirp all the way back to v1.1 when
the code log says T70A support was first added. My assumption is that it
must have worked back then, however this is not confirmed yet. It’s odd that
both cables resulted in 0 byte reads and now I’m suspecting either the T70A
has a different protocol or newer manufactured firmware that changed the
control codes.

Has anyone validated the IC-T70A *ever* worked with Chirp? If so, can you
share your experience and possibly the serial number and purchase date of
the radio?

Thanks,
Nick
KB1GZN