[chirp_users] BAOFENG DRIVER

Jim Unroe
Sun May 10 16:40:52 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Carl Payne
<payneconsultant at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I spent two weeks trying to find a driver for my Baofeng BF-F9 V2+.  I
> determined that I had to use one for BF-F8hp.  I was lucky enough to find
> one. Chirp worked great.  My Computer crashed and I have not been able to
> find a working driver since.  I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  Any
> help will be appreciated.
>
> Carl Payne

Hi Carl,

There are no device drivers for either the BF-F9 V2+ or the BF-F8HP.
Neither radio requires one.

Any device drivers that would be required, would be required only by
the USB style programming cable. Any programming cable that would plug
directly into a legacy serial port would not require a device driver,
either.

The device driver works in conjunction with the USB-to-TTL chip in the
USB programming cable to create a virtual serial port.

Many of the lower cost USB programming cable have an unauthorized copy
of a Prolific type chip in them. When Windows detects a "Prolific"
type chip, it installs the latest device driver written by Prolific
Technology Inc. (the company that makes the genuine Prolific chip).
This device driver is intentionally written to be incompatible with
the unauthorized copies.

In order to use a programming cables containing an unauthorized chip
copy, the Prolific device driver needs to be downgraded to an older,
compatible device driver, v3.2.0.0. The miklor.com website has a link
to the compatible device driver and instructions for how to
install/select it.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php