[chirp_users] Wouxun KG-UV8D

Steve Gouveia
Sun Mar 29 12:43:08 PDT 2015

Hi Jim,

When I go to select the radio type, it only goes up to the UV6D, and I have an 8D.  Can I use the 6D type?

Thank you,

Steve Gouveia
pctek at pacbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 08:41
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Wouxun KG-UV8D

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Steve Gouveia <pctek at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hello to all.   I just purchased the Wouxun KG-UV8D.  The programming
> software that came with it is so very basic.  A few friends of mine
> recommended CHIRP.  So I downloaded it.  It’s much better to program with.
> When I went to upload the data to the radio, that function was
> unavailable (greyed out).  I can download from the radio, just no
> upload.  I tried CHIRP on my Kenwood TH-F6A and it worked fine.
>

> Any idea what may be causing this problem or when CHIRP will support
> the Wouxun KG series?
>

> Thank you

CHIRP works with a lot of radios. No matter which one, you have to download from the radio first so CHIRP knows which radio you are dealing with. You will see the radio Vendor/Model in the tab. Your tab likely says "Generic CSV" and cannot be uploaded to any radio. Save a copy of your downloaded tab "just in case". Then edit it as needed and upload it to your radio.

You can still copy-and-paste the work you did on you generic tab to your KG-UV8D tab. It will probably need some settings tweaked, though.

Jim KC9HI.