[chirp_users] 2 UR-5V's refuse to download the factory set up

Jim Unroe
Sat Mar 28 19:26:30 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 9:36 PM, kcrunchone hill <kcrunchone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Crazy thing I am not only getting an error message stating that some of the
> features or functions may not work but the radio will not receive from one
> another no matter what.
>
> Prior to this several radios were programmed and with no problems now the
> newer radios are not accepting programming, what can I do to over come this
> issue? I would really like to be able to program them the same as prior
> radios. Only the new radios are having a problem not the older UV5's
>
> Rick_KRX1

Sounds like you've uploaded a CHIRP Radio Image file saved from a
radio with BFB firmware into a radio with N5R firmware. That is a
no-no. The reverse is also true. The memory layout was changed with
the introduction of N5R firmware making one radios image file
incompatible with the other.

You must not be using the latest daily build. The latest daily build
verifies that the image being uploaded is compatible before uploading
it. The upload is aborted if it isn't compatible the the target radio.
Daily builds prior to September 2014 and the year old (next month)
CHIRP v0.4.x stable build do not have this protection and because of
this are not recommended for use with Baofeng radios.

Before upgrading you will have to upload the original back up image
file that was saved before the incompatible image was loaded to the
radio. If one wasn't made (for some reason they usually aren't) then
you will be able to get one and instructions for recovery on the
miklor.com website.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Recovery.php#N5R