[chirp_users] Solved:

Mike Raymond
Thu Jul 23 06:48:35 PDT 2015

For purposes of sharing, here is what I did to finally successfully Install
the Prolific Driver on my W8.1 64bit machine. The solution was getting
the correct "SER2PL64.SYS" file. Thanks to those here, a Microsoft
MVP, and Prolific for their patient assistance.

On my windows8 64b computer I started by installing the windows 8 driver
PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.11.0.zip  It's on the
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/CustomerLogin.aspx website (use guest/guest
for user and password).

(This direct prolific driver download link might work too)
http://www.prolific.com.tw/admin/Technology/GetFile.ashx?fileID=232

IMPORTANT: My past problem was missing the right .SYS file in
c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. Get the correct ser2pl64.sys file here:

ftp://ftp.sdt.be/pub/SDT170%20Software/USB/USB%20driver%20Win7/ser2pl64.sys

(this file, only 64000 bytes compaired to the original that was over 150K)

Next I ran the Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.11.0.exe (from the above zip).
Next
I copied the 64K ser2pl64.sys file into the Windows8
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
folder (overwrite the original although it may be prudent to first rename
the original to ser2pl64.OLD)

Then I plugged in my usb to serial cable, if the cable is not correctly
recognized,
remove the cable. Now right click the Prolific driver listed under the
"Ports
(Com&LPT)" listing in Device Manager and click "upgrade the driver"; next
highlight "search the local machine" and pick Prolific_3_2_0_0 from the
list. Re insert the USB cable.

After many frustrating attempts, this finally worked for me.

Mike K5HUM