[chirp_users] Problems with Windows 8.1

W Paul Mills
Tue Jul 21 22:41:07 PDT 2015

If you really have a Prolific chip you would use a Prolific driver,
but not so for FTDI chip.

Assuming you really have a prolific chip, there are some chips
Prolific decided not to support in Win 8.1 64-bit, even if they are
genuine Prolific chips. For a while, I was able to roll back the
drivers and get them to work anyway. But recently they seemed to have
changed something that causes the old driver to fail. Note that this
even happens with know genuine Prolific chips!

I finally gave up and built my own FTDI cable with parts from
Sparkfun. Works every time!

On 07/21/2015 09:02 PM, Mike Raymond wrote:
> Ok, the Win_Driver_Prolific_3_2_0_0 with a FTDI chip cable and
> Chirp (or UV-3R tranceiver software), all work great on my XP and
> W7 machines.
>
> Installing the same driver and cable on my W8.1 Laptop produces the
> following error:
>
> This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Not Enough Quota} Not enough
> virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the
> specified operation.
>
> Any suggestions on how to solve the W8.1 problems? Does W8.1
> require a special driver? cable?
>
> Thanks, Mike  K5HUM at ARRL.NET <mailto:K5HUM at ARRL.NET>

* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY                    *
* W. Paul Mills         SN807                    *
* Assistant EC Alpha-1 ARES Shawnee/Wabunsee, KS *
* President Kaw Valley Amateur Radio Club        *