[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R and settings/squelch_levels

John LaMartina
Tue Jul 21 10:34:49 PDT 2015

You mention that you are using a cable with an FTDI chip and the Prolific 3.2.0.0 driver.
It may be a driver mismatch.

The FTDI chip requires the FTDI driver. The Prolific 3.2.0.0 driver is for the Prolific chip only.

Could this be the issue?

John

http://www.miklor.com

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Mike Raymond
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:25 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R and settings/squelch_levels

Issue:

Cannot get a driver to function on my w8.1 machine using

same cable (with FTDI chip), Win_Driver_Prolific_3_2_0_0

and UV-3R transceiver software that all works FINE on my

big 64b W7 machine incl Chirp.

Any suggestions on how to solve the W8.1 problems????

The W8.1 Dell Laptop has 3gb ram, 500gb HD and otherwise

runs flawlessly.

73

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Pavel Milanes Costa <co7wt at frcuba.co.cu> wrote:

El 19/07/15 a las 20:21, Jim Unroe escribió:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Pavel Milanes Costa
> <co7wt at frcuba.co.cu> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm new to the list...
>>
>> I was searching the list archives for this, but found no answer, so here
>> it goes...
>>
>> The squelch levels for VHF/UHF on the settings > service settings
>> options do work for the Baofeng UV-5R?
>>
>> My Baofeng is about 10uV in VHF and ~2.0uV on UHF, so VHF reception is
>> hard, may be it has to do with the SQ level, it has 25 as SQL 0 for VHF
>> and 19 on SQL 0 for UHF.
>>
>> So before I play with that values I want to know if this setting will
>> really work with my radio.
>>
>> I'm using chirp-daily-20150702 here...
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> --
>> M.Sc. Pavel Milanes Costa, CO7WT
>> SYSOP Nodo Gateway CO9JAZ
>> Ciudad de Camagüey, Camagüey, Cuba.
>> Cell: (+53) 53-847819
>>
>> Este email fue enviado usando packet radio a 9600 baudios
>> This email was sent using Amateur Packet Radio at 9600 baud
>
> There is no guarantee that it will work. Feedback shows that it works
> for firmware version BFB291 and newer. The settings won't show up if
> the firmware version is older than this. The improvement seems to vary
> from firmware version to firmware version and model to model.
>
> Always save your radio's channels and settings before you start making
> any changes. That way you can always get back to where you started. It
> appears that you have test equipment available. All you have to do is
> change one setting to see if it works. If it doesn't, then change it
> back.
>
> Jim KC9HI

Thanks for the answer Tim.

My firmware is BFB297 N5R-20, so it may work... I will try and get back
to the list to report..

73