[chirp_users] Yaesu FT-8100?

Tom Hayward
Tue Jan 6 15:30:58 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Eric Allen <eric at hackerengineer.net> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I recently picked up a Yaesu FT-8100, and I'm looking to program it with
> CHIRP. Has anybody else given this bad boy a shot? It looks to be
> programmable, so I'm hoping to adapt the CHIRP support for one of the other
> Yaesu mobiles, but I'm hoping maybe it's actually easier than that.

Yaesus are generally pretty easy to write support for. They all use
the same clone "protocol" (really just a dump of their memory with no
protocol per se). Start with a similar model and try a Download From
Radio. If it's an exact match, everything will work fine. If not, an
error will be reported. You'll want to save the .img and inspect it
with a hex editor after the failed download. Tweak memsize to make
sure you get the whole thing.

This type of conversation is more appropriate for the chirp_devel list: