[chirp_users] Could use a hand with a BaoFeng and Chirp

Jim Unroe
Fri Feb 20 09:48:37 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Joe abrahamson <joeaksa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the ad. Have been a CHIRP user (and donar) for a while now and no
> issues.
>
> Then had my desktop computer die and replaced it with a Win7 64 bit unit.
> Installed CHIRP and I thought everything went fine but when I tried to
> upload the new frequency list to the radio (a UV-5RA thats about a year old)
> it keeps telling me that "an error has occured. Radio did not respond"
>
> I have used this same cable and radio in the past with CHIRP with no issues
> so am guessing that its the computer or OS. Have tried both 0.4.1 and "chirp
> daily-20150218" found on the BaoFeng site, both with the same results.
>
> Ideas?  Am volunteering in a ham event tonight and would love to have the
> radio as a backup for my older Kenwood "just in case"....
>
> Thx,
>
> Joe A
> KG7FDX
> Phoenix

This is a common problem, and likely to be yours too, is that the
driver automatically installed by Windows is (intentionally)
incompatible with the (unauthorized copy of a) Proliifc USB-to-Serial
chip in the programming cable. This solution is to install an older
driver that is compatible with the chip.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php