[chirp_users] SainSonic AP510

Kurt
Sat Feb 14 12:11:17 PST 2015

I picked up a second unit and it apparently had an ancient bit of firmware on it.   I didn't get the date but
Chirp would read a frequency off of it. I flashed to the 12152014 firmware and Chirp isn't able to read it.
So, it's a firmware issue.  Also the transmit delay can't be changed but that's a Sainsonic issue and not
Chirp.  I may try flashing to an older firmware.

Location is here:

http://www.radioddity.com/us/avrt5-aprs-tracker-vhf-with-gps-bluetooth-thermometer-tf-card-support-aprsdroid.html

Go to "Downloads" and click on "AP510 APRS Software"  .
Rename to *.zip and unpack.  I virus scanned and it's O.K.                        KC9LDH

 From: Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us>
To: Kurt <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net>; Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] SainSonic AP510

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Kurt <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Is the Linux version of Chirp unable to read/program the AP510?  I'm using
>> the provided cable.  Kurt KC9LDH
>
> The non-working example you gave is how I program my AP510 every time,
> from Linux. I've only verified it works with the latest 20141008 (rx
> free) firmware. Is this the version you have?

As mentioned in a private email, Kurt actually has firmware version
20141215. Thanks for tipping me off--this is a new version I haven't
tested, and it was not released through the same channels as previous
versions.

I flashed my AP510 with the new firmware and it woke up in a boot
loop. I was eventually able to get it to connect to the stock
programming software and load the default configuration. This tamed
it. This is a good indication that some significant internal changes
took place between versions.

I snooped the serial protocol a bit and found they modified the
command to put it into configuration mode. This is why Chirp is unable
to read your AP510. I have not looked much farther than this, however
I suspect they did not change the initialization on a whim, but to
prevent accidental programming with software intended for older
versions.

I will need to take a thorough look at the new protocol before
updating Chirp. Hopefully I can support both the new and old protocols
concurrently, unlike the stock software.

Tom KD7LXL