[chirp_users] Error Trying To Download From FT-1D

W Paul Mills
Thu Feb 12 06:40:37 PST 2015

Problem is, this is an operating system / cable hardware issue. There
would need to be different instructions for each operating system and
possible cable type. All for something that is not a part of chirp. If
anyone should be providing this information, it should be the
manufacturer of the cable you are using.

By default, linux users tend to be somewhat on their own on these
things, regardless of manufacturer. Things linux users need to
understand to some degree are the /dev/ directory, lsusb command, and
groups and sometimes file permissions.

And windows users don't get a free ride either, because of the things
that often get done behind your back. One needs to be familiar with
device manager, and need to know about rolling back drivers in some
cases. And this can become a major pain. This can even be a problem when
using factory supplied software.

Add to this numerous problems caused by some manufacturers using
counterfeit chips, and chip makers attempting to protect themselves from
this.

On 02/12/2015 05:44 AM, Brian Carling wrote:
> I wish they would put all the stuff on the chirp website so we can
> actually use it!
>
> Best regards - Brian Carling
> AF4K Crystals Co.
> 117 Sterling Pine St.
> Sanford, FL 32773
>
> Tel: +USA 321-262-5471
>

> On Feb 11, 2015, at 10:37 PM, Amber Fechko <amber at dendriticspine.com
> <mailto:amber at dendriticspine.com>> wrote:
>
>> Make sure you're not running through an external USB hub or anything;
>> connect directly to the computer.
>>
>> Try disconnecting the cable, and then running:
>>
>> user at host:~$ dmesg
>> (a ton of system messages should stream by)
>>
>> Then reconnect your cable, turn on radio/volume up (shouldn't be
>> necessary for dmesg output, but might as well do it now), and run the
>> same command:
>>
>> user at host:~$ dmesg
>> (all of the previous system messages, and hopefully something new
>> indicating a usb->serial device like below)
>> [430941.789785] usb 2-1.7: new full-speed USB device number 49 using
>> ehci-pci
>> [430941.883258] usb 2-1.7: New USB device found, idVendor=067b,
>> idProduct=2303
>> [430941.883267] usb 2-1.7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
>> SerialNumber=0
>> [430941.883272] usb 2-1.7: Product: USB-Serial Controller
>> [430941.883277] usb 2-1.7: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
>> [430941.883801] pl2303 2-1.7:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
>> [430941.885384] usb 2-1.7: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>>
>> Assuming your system registers the usb->serial cable, you should see
>> it in dmesg w/the device it was assigned (/dev/ttyUSB0 in my case --
>> vdir /dev/ttyUSB* is faster if you just need the device ID, but if
>> vdir isn't showing anything, dmesg might give you a hint as to why).
>>
>> I had to enter /dev/ttyUSB0 manually in the "Port" section of CHIRP --
>> it didn't show by default unless I restarted CHIRP after the cable was
>> connected.
>>
>> -Amber
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM, n4lbl <alan.schulman at gmail.com
>> <mailto:alan.schulman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Thanks.  I suspect that this is interesting:
>>
>>         n4lbl at eel:~$ vdir /dev/ttyUSB
>>         vdir: cannot access /dev/ttyUSB: No such file or directory
>>

>>     On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM, W Paul Mills <AC0HY at wpmills.com
>>     <mailto:AC0HY at wpmills.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Should be showing as /dev/ttyUSB0 or something similar. From a
>>         text box
>>         or terminal screen type "vdir /dev/ttyUSB*" and see what the
>>         results
>>         show. If nothing shows, your cable is not being recognised. If
>>         it shows,
>>         but not in chirp text box, type it in, and it should work.
>>
>>         On 02/11/2015 02:49 PM, n4lbl wrote:
>>         > When trying to download I get the message:
>>         >
>>         >     An error has occurred
> [...]
* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY                    *
* W. Paul Mills         SN807                    *
* Assistant EC Alpha-1 ARES Shawnee/Wabunsee, KS *
* President Kaw Valley Amateur Radio Club        *