[chirp_users] "Wrong Model Selected" error

Jim Unroe
Fri Dec 11 16:23:48 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 5:50 PM,  <swphillips at cox.net> wrote:
> Using the latest build of CHIRP, I had a problem saving the system image of
> my new BF-F8HP. CHIRP returned the “incorrect model selected” error when I
> chose BF-F8HP, so I tried UV5R and was able to upload the system image. I
> wrote back to the radio using this file and it is causing problems. I am
> looking for a uncorrupted system image for my firmware. These are the
> returns I am getting from the radio now:
> Power+3= BFB297
> Power+6= 141006N
> CHIRP-Other Settings= HN5RV01
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve P

Steve,

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but your radio is not a
"real" BF-F8HP. The UV-5R model selection is the correct selection for
your radio since it only has 2 power levels.

All UV-5R type radios with 2 power levels since BFB299 firmware was
released (nearly 3 years ago in January of 2013) all masquerade as
BFB297 in the Power+3 key message.This message is no longer useful for
determining the firmware version of a Baofeng radio.

The "real" BF-F8HP radios (with 3 power levels) are made exclusively
for Baofeng Tech (a USA based dealer of Baofeng manufactured radios)
by Baofeng in China. The current firmware version for a "real" BF-F8HP
is:

 CHIRP->Settings->Other Settings->Firmware message 1= N5R340A <-- the
firmware version
 Power+3= F8HP-1

You might try to return the radio and get your money back.

https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp