[chirp_users] Yaesu VX-5r Uploading Issue

Tom Hayward
Thu Dec 3 11:23:55 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM, AJ Pulley <kc6lfp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded, and booted from the Lunux Live CD version of Chirp, which uses
> the Xfce 4.8 OS.  At this point, I just wanted to complete an upload and
> download cycle as a test.  The upload cycle completed, creating an image
> file for the VX-5R.  However, the same exact results were experienced upon
> attempting a download cycle (radio as the destination).

Just to make sure we're clear, Chirp uses the opposite definitions of
upload and download. In Chirp, the first step is to click "Download
from Radio." Then modify your channels. Then "Upload to Radio."

Has your radio ever been modified for out of band transmit? Is the
image you're trying to upload from another VX5 that was modded? A
mismatch of region bits is one thing that causes a clone error.

A little background: Yaesu uses an extremely primitive programming
protocol. It simply sends all the bytes and hopes for the best. This
is why there is no error reported in Chirp--there's no mechanism in
the protocol for receiving an error report from the radio. The only
error handling opportunity is to watch the radio's display and
manually retry if needed.

As far as tweaking Chirp's code to resolve this, the only real
opportunity there is to add some extra time between bytes.

Tom KD7LXL