[chirp_users] What help is there for non-programmer to learn Chirp and Python for Icom IC-2800H

KB1ELE - Lee T. Davy
Wed Aug 26 13:48:32 PDT 2015

All,
I sent to developer as well but maybe ask here as well.

I have a circa 2000 Icom IC-2800H with virtual box XP on OS X for CS2800.exe cloning software.
I am sucessfully downloading to ubuntu KBOIQ on old MacBook Laptop (64 bit) and maybe older HP 1125nr Netbook.
I have been able to get memory sized and names in browser with skip bits mapped.
I also figured that the memory frequencies are really weird to see in browser as hex.

portmon, ICF and screen capture of CS-2800 are completed.
Also attempted same on Icom IC-V8 with CS-V8, portman
but no success with Chirp detecting or fake outs.

What I have learned is in code at end of message.
What I haven't learned is how to display in Chirps UI or
how to decipher Python flow.
Where should I go from here ?
Radio is NOT available for loan.
Visits or local (01450, USA) mentors are welcome though.

MEM_FORMAT = """
struct {
    u16 freq;
    u16 freq1:4,
        freq2:3,
        unknown1:2,
        pskip:1,
        skip:1,
 	unknown2:4;

    u16 offst:12,
	unknown3:4;
    u16 offst1:4,
        offst2:3,
        unknown4:4;

    u8  unknown5:2,
        rtone:6;
    char name[8];
} memory[232];

class IC2800Radio(icf.IcomCloneModeRadio):
    """Icom IC-2800H"""
    VENDOR = "Icom"
    MODEL = "IC-2800H"

    _model = "\x20\x47\x00\x01"