[chirp_users] UV-B5 upload with "Radio NAK'd block at address 0x0000"

Cody P Schafer
Sat Apr 25 11:06:14 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
>>> I've seen some other postings about higher addresses failing, but none
>>> about block 0 failing.
>>>
>>> This is a "27 menu" model of the uv-b5.
>>>
>>> Downloading works fine.
>>>
>>> Unmodified image here:
>>> http://vcr.einic.org/~nyx/uv-b5_orig.img
>>>
>>> I've tried uploading both modified and completely unmodified images to
>>> the radio. All fail with the same "Radio NAK'd block at address
>>> 0x0000" error.
>>
>> A bit more info:
>>
>> After resetting the uv-b5 via the startup menu (hold menu and power
>> on), I was able to:
>>
>>   - download an image
>>   - partially upload that same image (Ended with "Radio NAK'd block at
>> address 0x0f00"
>>
>> After doing this, the radio:
>>
>>   - no longer accepts new images (appears in the same state as it was before)
>>   - displays a lock icon on the display
>>   - doesn't appear to let me get back to the initialization menu
>
> Link to the image downloaded after reset but before reuploading:
>
> http://vcr.einic.org/~nyx/uv-b5-reset-version.img
>
> And the version read back from the radio after reuploading:
>
> http://vcr.einic.org/~nyx/uv-b5-reset-then-upload.img

Strangely, after resetting, reading and attempting programming a few
more times, this particular radio has now started accepting uploaded
configuration reliably (with the expected NAK at 0x0f10).

Not sure what the actual issue here was, sorry about the mailing list noise.