[chirp_users] Error message

Jim Unroe
Wed Apr 22 02:40:08 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Shon Edwards <sre.1966 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am getting this error message "Upload finished, but the 'Other Settings'
> could not be sent because the firmware version of the image (  Ver  B82S26
> ) does not match that of the radio (  Ver  B82S28   )."
>
> Am trying to upload info to a Baofeng UV-82X and getting this message.  It's
> possible my CHIRP version may not be new enough.  Seems to still transfer
> the frequencies and labels.  Not sure what is NOT being transferred because
> of this.
>
> Does anyone know what needs to be done to get rid of the error message?  Or
> what is not getting transferred?  Anything to worry about?
>
> Thx,
>
> Shon

The error message means just what it says. You are uploading a CHIRP
Radio Image (*.img) file that was saved from another radio with a
different firmware version into your radio. CHIRP uploads the "main"
memory that has the per-channel data and most settings but stops short
of the "aux" memory which is firmware specific. Until recently it was
considered safe to swap the "main" memory between radios with
different firmware version but still withing the same model family.
But in late 2014 Baofeng made memory layout changes to the "main"
memory so that it is no long safe to exchange the "main" memory among
different firmware versions. If you were using the latest CHIRP daily
build, it would have refused to upload the image because the firmware
version of the data file does not exactly match the firmware version
of the radio.

To get this error to stop, all you do is download the channels and
settings from your radio to create a tab that is compatible with your
radio. Then you can load the "foreign" image into another tab allowing
you to copy-and-paste the channels from the tab from B82S26 radio to
the tab for your B82S28 radio. Another method, which I prefer, is once
you've download from your radio into a tab, then you use the CHIRP
File -> Import method to import the B82S286 image's channels into the
tab from your radio.