[chirp_users] Support request - Yaesu FT-1500M

Tom Hayward
Fri Apr 17 08:34:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:
> That said, there are other chirp developers that may very well be
> interested. Indicate your offer of a loan on that request tracker if you
> haven't already and maybe someone will be interested in picking it up.

I've added support for a number of Yaesu radios, and theoretically, I
wouldn't mind taking this one on too. The trouble is I'm afraid it
would sit untouched on my workbench for months while I tried to find
the time to do it. That really wouldn't be fair to the owner.

Trying to download with an existing Yaesu driver is one of the first
things I would try. If the one you pick has the same baud rate, you'll
get at least a partial image download. This will undoubtedly fail to
decode, showing lots of errors in Chirp, but you will be able to save
it and inspect it with a hex editor. The next step is subjective--it's
not too hard to spot a repetitive section in the data that are the
list of channels. Now you can start modifying the existing Chirp
driver (after duplicating it) to decode the section of memory you've
identified.

There's more information about becoming a developer here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Developers

Further discussion like this should take place on the chirp_devel list.

Tom KD7LXL