[chirp_users] New user

Mike
Tue Apr 14 22:57:28 PDT 2015

As a new user chirp is still a learning experience. The data that is used in the download sites is old and outdated on the ones that it would let me access. It would not let me look at all of the sites so I can't comment on all of them. The one that I was able to access still has repeaters listed in my area thy have been off the air for at least five years. I realize this is something chirp can not control to a certain extent but they could get a site that is more up to date and dump the sites that are still in the dark ages with their lists. I had some problems trying to down load data but I think it's due to not being use to using chirp so I need more time with the program to comment there. One site I have found that is reasonably correct on their data is Artsi but even they have a few lists that are not accurate but they seem to have more accurate data than most others.radio reference is pretty close on some stuff but has old data on others. The data that comes up when you download chirp and look at what is there is not accurate at all. It doesn't even show the repeater offset on some and on the vhf marine channels some of the channels are not even in the marine service they are public safety frequencies. All in all chirp is a good idea but it really needs some data updating and corrections by someone that is familiar with FCC band plans and repeater inputs and outputs and what frequencies are assigned to what radio services. This would make chirp a really great and very useful program. As the saying goes junk in junk out.

Sent from my iPhone